Friday 4 January 2013

Brantford Tournament of Races - CO's 10k Memorial

Running Free
A few months ago Ali Mc. posted an opportunity on Dailymile for folks that wanted to run a free race; the race director Bill Jol of http://www.likerunning.ca wanted to have runners with Blogs to promote their races. I was more than happy to oblige.

I have to admit that running at 10am in a City that is over an hour away from my home town on New Years Day wasn't something I had thought through very well. Several weeks before the run I had started getting cold feet and had considered "calling in sick", or figuring out some reason not to run; it's very unlike me, I love running. So for the month of December I made a point of telling everyone that I knew that I was running this race...solely for accountability purposes.

New Years Eve
The solution I've been searching for!
I packed a bag with extra shoes, pants, underwear, socks, t-shirt, and sweater....an hour is a long time to drive home soaking wet from sweat. Not to mention the salt ring it'd leave on the seat - blech!! I plotted out my route and ensured there would be a McD's in case I had to stop in for a McPoo on the way (very important to know where to stop in order to go).

Sandy and I had planned to go to her brother's place for the night; there was a group gathering to ring in the New Year and our kids had planned to sleep over there (sleep over for the yung'uns means stay up all night, and be grumpy little youknowwhats the next day). Over we went at 8pm. I ate everything in site...crab dip and chips, shrimp-ring, meatballs, chocolate...suddenly we were counting down 3,2,1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!! "It's 12:01...OK let's go" rang through my head as we all shook hands, hugged, kissed etc. I decided to not pull a "sucky-poo ruin the fun guy" and opted to suck it up and stick it out for a bit. All the while I was calculating in my head, required sleep time, the time I would have to be up to get a quick wash-up, and a bowl of cereal, and the possibility of an unanticipated bowel action (I have a classic case of runner's poophobia; I guess I've seen too many photo's of that guy crossing the finish line with a mess in his pants and down his legs...I don't want that to be me...), in order to be at the Armoury at a decent time to pick up my race kit and bib. I had to be in bed for 2am at the latest...this was pretty much what it turned out to be.

What Alarm Clock?
7am?!? I don't know if it's my age...but I think my brain knows what time to start-up and eyes know what time to open, and a half hour before the alarm. An early start it was...I had that butterfly-ee feeling in my guts; the anticipation of putting on my race stuff and getting ready for the race always brings anxiety and excitement for me. I had breakfast, cleaned up, bathroom stop (YAY!), got ready, kissed my wife and left.

Pre-race
The drive was relatively uneventful; it seems that there are not many people up and about at 8am on January 1st. My thoughts were many and included my race plan (1. don't go out too hard, 2.take it easy, 3. find someone to run with, 4. enjoy it, 5. finish strong!) and how beautiful our province is (I mean, have you looked around lately?). I arrived in Brantford and found my way to the Armoury quite easily and found parking across the street at the RBC. As I walked through the Armoury door I felt that this was a well organised event, seating for hundreds, food tables were being set up on one side as well as coffee and refreshments on the other. Some of Canada's camouflaged finest were around observing the ongoings. I picked up my race kit, pinned on my bib and ran the rest of the kit, and my backpack, back to my Jeep. I headed back in and made my way to the coffee urns and poured a cup which I drank quickly, so I poured another and had a seat. Twenty minutes passed as I sat and BBM'd with my wife and kids and perused the various Facebook "HNY"s (Yes we have come to this...Happy New Year on Facebook is now too long...HNY is apparently the new standard?!?) I lifted my head and saw the room had filled rather quickly, I saw a couple of young ladies that may have been my DM friend Ali Mc. but if it wasn't her I didn't want to go through the "oh I thought you were her" line and look like a creepy old man :oP. I decided to stretch for a bit, then have a quick warm up by trotting up and down the boulevard out front. I re-entered the building, grabbed a last drink of water and scurried off to the starting line.

And They're Off?
Approaching the starting line I was entertained by one of a group of ladies that were all wearing "Happy New Year" hats, they were laughing about the guy that was running in his shorts and t-shirt...what a nutter! It's -6'C out here don't ya know? I started jumping around to keep warm I was eyeing the crowd looking for  who I thought may be my fellow 10kers...then people just started running...the guy on the side of the road sort of said loudly while waving his arm "OK....go...go...go"...maybe I'm just used to a horn to start a race? I followed suit and started off.

Stick to the Plan
Me and Ed

I found myself within a crowd of people, much like every race we all are trying to find where we want to be running a little chaos can always be expected. I allowed people to pass and be passed and pass people and excuse me and sorry and...well you know (don't go out too hard...check). When things settled I found my feet and set my pace by feel rather than Garmin. Running well within my comfort zone (take it easy...check) I started passing folks wishing them Happy New Year and good morning and asking  "5 or 10 k?" I knew we were a rare bunch for this race. A couple of kms had passed and I had found Ed, the first guy that said he was running 10 (find someone to run with...check) Ed and I ran 5:40-5:45/k for most of our time together. We shared stories of how we started running, where we lived, what races we were in, what races we were planning on doing. Before I knew it we were at 7.5k and heading up a hill. 7.5k, 5hrs sleep and I felt like a million bucks! (enjoy it...check). I told Ed that I was going to give'r heck at the top of the hill. We got to the top of what looked like the top and turned the corner only to be faced with another uphill...race-planners have a way about them, sadistic...these people must be runners...anyway I loved the surprise, and it's the type of thing I train for. The hill was not kind to Ed who was trailing slightly...I was slowing to keep him beside me; I checked the Garmin and we'd slowed to 6min/km, we reached the top and he told me to go on ahead...


Finish Strong...
Thanks Wilson Sports Photography :)

8.5k at the top of the hill and I said "see you at the finish"  to Ed...I could still see one runner ahead of me....way ahead....I switched it into high gear and took off as fast as felt I could. I concentrated on form and breathing, and fought the mental demons "I'm tired....slow down...I want to stop". I knew I was really hustling because I was catching up to the guy ahead of me. Down the final stretch I witnessed him cross the finish line 51 seconds ahead of me...Ed finished 41 seconds behind me. I checked the Garmin...I was running 4:45/k on the 1.5k stretch (finish strong...check) Chip time 53:36. Another successful race! I was a little disappointed that there were no medals :( *shrug* Regardless, this race was very organised, the course was well marked, and fun to run.  


Back at the Armoury
There were a lot of people back at the Armoury, lots of food, and lots of cake! I grabbed some chilli, a samosa, and a seat beside a young lady Patrice who, was surprised to find out, ended up coming in first for her age group! While the awards were being handed out I chatted with the others at our table. I finished up my meal and said goodbye and left.

Indecent Exposure
Wet, and now cold, I had a long drive home... what does one do? I know what I did; changed my clothes in my Jeep. Not a simple task. Not a pretty picture...possible indecent exposure LOL! A runner's gotta do what a runner's gotta do.

Thanks to Bill Jol for the opportunity! Thanks to Ali Mc. for the heads up! and thanks to all you blog readers ; see you at the next race :)







1 comment:

Mari said...

Great race report, Phil. Although, I just may start calling you Dr. McPoo -- lol! I'm with you on the medal, though. I like medals!